This apple pie-inspired white chocolate popcorn is dangerously addictive.
It happens every September. I want a little taste of fall but I’m not ready for serious fall baking. Happily I am always in the mood to pop popcorn. (And even happier: Popcorn is naturally gluten-free.) One day I decided to toss popcorn with white chocolate, dried apples, and some spices. Success! I had a little taste of fall and I didn’t have to turn on the oven.
There are only two ingredient notes for this recipe. I use air-popped popcorn because its plain flavor really allows the white chocolate and spices to shine. And I found peanut-free dried apple slices. If you are peanut-free, you know how challenging it can be to find safe dried fruit.
This recipe first appeared on SeriousEats.com
Apple Pie White Chocolate Popcorn
- 1 (12 to 16 ounce) bag white chocolate chips
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pumpkin pie spice
- 10 cups air-popped popcorn
- 1 cup chopped dried apple slices
- 2/3 cup dried cranberries, optional
- Melt chocolate in large bowl set over pot of simmering water, stirring frequently until smooth. Add cinnamon and pumpkin pie spice and whisk to combine. Add popcorn and toss using two wooden spoons until well coated, about 30 seconds. Add apples and cranberries and stir to combine..
- Transfer mixture to to a parchment paper-lined rimmed baking sheet, using back of spoon to spread evenly over entire surface. Chill in refrigerator for at least one hour. Using hands, break into small pieces and serve. Store for up to 3 days in covered container.