This gluten-free chocolate mug cake packs a lot of flavor. Made from simple ingredients, this easy recipe is perfect whenever a chocolate craving hits. Top with whipped cream, ice cream, or an easy frosting.
This Gluten-Free Chocolate Mug Cake Is
Even though you can make this mug cake in about a minute, it’s anything but basic. Like my gluten-free vanilla mug cake, this chocolate version is as easy-to-make as it is tasty.
How to Make Gluten-Free Chocolate Mug Cake
- Whisk together gluten-free flour, cocoa powder, sugar, and baking powder in a large mug. Add egg, milk, and oil. (And, if you’re in the mood, a generous sprinkling of chocolate chips)
- Stir together until batter is smooth. (Make sure you run the spoon around the edges of the mug. Flour loves to cling to the edges.)
- Microwave on high for about one minute.
- Top with whipped cream, ice cream, or frosting.
FAQs: Gluten-Free Chocolate Mug Cake
What size mug is best for mug cake?
A large (12 ounce) mug is best. The cake puffs as it cooks, which is why it’s so important to use a large mug. You want to make a cake, not clean your microwave from overflowing batter.
What cocoa powder is the best to use?
In this recipe, natural or Dutch-process cocoa powder are interchangeable. Use whatever you have in the pantry. Just be sure not to use hot chocolate powder. It’ll make the cake too sweet and not chocolatey enough.
Can I make this without an egg?
No. I’m working on an egg-free version. (probably as you read this.)
Can I make this dairy-free?
Yes! This gluten-free mug cake is easy to make dairy-free. Simply replace the milk with your favorite dairy-free alternative. You can even use chocolate or water if you’d like.
Can I make this into a vanilla cake?
For a vanilla-version, follow the recipe for my easy gluten-free vanilla mug cake. It’s just as easy, moist, and tender as this one—only without the chocolate.
Easy Gluten-Free Chocolate Mug Cake Recipe
- 1/4 cup all-purpose gluten-free flour
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon milk
- about 1 teaspoon mini-chocolate chips optional
- 2 tablespoons softened butter or dairy-free spread
- 3 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon milk
- Whipped Cream
- Ice Cream
For the Microwave
- Spray a large (12 ounces) mug with nonstick cooking spray. Stir together gluten-free flour, cocoa powder, sugar, and baking powder in the mug. Add egg, oil, and milk. Stir until smooth with a fork or mini whisk. Stir in mini-chocolate chips if using.
- Microwave on high for 60-80 seconds or until cake pulls away from the sides of the mug and the top looks dry. Allow cake to cool in the mug. Top warm cake with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream, if desired. Or allow the cake to cool and frost.
For the Oven
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Follow step one above. Be sure to use an oven-safe mug. Place mug on a baking sheet. Bake until set, about 20 minutes.
For the Frosting
- Beat together the butter and powdered sugar until smooth with a spoon. Add milk. Mix until creamy. Spread frosting on cooled cake. If you put the frosting on the hot cake, it will melt.